Applying to the Graduate Program in Linguistics
The Institute of Linguistics accepts applications to the program with classes beginning in
Fall Semester. Applications for spring semester will be considered only under special circumstances and if there is room.
The deadline to apply for Fall 2018 is December 15, 2017. To be considered for admission and fellowships, your application must be submitted by this date.
The Institute of Linguistics requires the following application materials:
- University of
Minnesota Graduate School Application form.
- A statement of purpose. Upload your statement into the application under the heading
Applicant Statements (Statement #1).
- A writing sample. Upload your writing sample into the application under the heading Program Supplementary
Information (Writing Sample).
- Three letters of recommendation. These are to be uploaded into the application by your
- Supplementary Questionnaire for Graduate Program Applicants
PDF). Upload a file containing your answers to these questions
into the application under the heading "Program Supplementary Information (Graduate Program
- Transcripts from each college or university you have attended. Unofficial transcripts should be
uploaded into the application under the heading Credentials.
- GRE scores. For more information on submitting your GRE scores, click
- English Language Proficiency Scores (TOEFL, MELAB, IELTS). English Language Proficiency Assessments
are required of international applicants, unless the applicant has completed 24 quarter credits or 16
semester credits (within the past 24 months) in residence as a full-time student at a recognized institution of higher
learning in the United States (or another English-speaking country) before entering the University of Minnesota. For more
information on English Language Proficiency Assessments and how to submit the scores,
We do not require any specific B.A. degree, but students admitted to our program normally have a broad undergraduate background that includes some linguistics courses.
If you have questions about the application process, please contact Claire Halpert.
Your acceptance and commencement in the program
If you are accepted into the program, you will start in the fall semester, which begins in September each year.
Director of Graduate Studies
S315 Elliott Hall
December 15: Deadline for all applicants.