University of Minnesota
Institute of Linguistics

Institute of Linguistic's home page.

Graduate Assistantships

Graduate assistantships are academic appointments available to graduate students. In addition to an hourly wage, students working as graduate assistants may be eligible for other benefits, including a tuition benefit.

To be eligible for graduate assistantships, you must have already been admitted to the University of Minnesota Graduate School and be registered for a minimum number of credits.

A limited number of graduate assistantships are available through our program for applicants with appropriate background and experience. In addition, some students have had success in finding teaching assistantships in other programs and departments on campus.

You may apply for graduate assistantships in the foreign language programs here at the University of Minnesota's College of Liberal Arts such as Russian, Korean, French and Italian, etc. There are also opportunities available in the Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition (CARLA).

For more information, current openings, and for questions about eligibility to hold any of these appointments, see the policies published on the Graduate Assistant Employment office website .

Assistantship types

Graduate assistantships include:

  • teaching assistantships
  • research assistantships
  • administrative fellowships

A teaching assistant helps with the teaching duties under the supervision of an academic staff. In some cases, teaching assistants may be assigned primary responsibility for teaching a course.

A research assistant helps with carrying out research under the guidance of a principal investigator.

An administrative fellow helps with the administrative duties of a program within the department.


Contact Information

Claire Halpert
Director of Graduate Studies

S315 Elliott Hall

Graduate News